Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Okay I have made a commitment !!!!!

Okay, I don't mean I have had myself placed in a facility (at least not yet), but a commitment to Hill to try and get healthy!! Darn she wants me around for a while, what's that about??? So we are going to do the South Beach diet again. It is really just living the word of wisdom, and actually very easy to do. I lost 60 lbs last time!! There is just one catch for the first two weeks you have to take yourself off of carbs except for those which come from veggies !! Two Weeks !! So I may truly be in a facility, will you come and visit me !! lol I thought I'd start by posting a healthy recipe?? Just to get myself worked up to the challenge!! Cuz we decided we have to eat all of the bad carbs we have here first !! Can't afford to throw them out ya know !! hehe So it is soon if you see me frowning you'll know I'm cold turkey off the chocolate !!! Yikes and double Yikes !!!! Pity the fool who cuts in front of me now !! hahahaha does that sound maniacal?? Scary !!!


Citrus Chicken Salad

6 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded, or one 6-ounce package refrigerated cooked chicken breast strips*
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 11-ounce can mandarin orange sections, drained
1/2 cup loose-pack frozen whole kernel corn
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
2 teaspoons low-sugar or low-calorie orange marmalade
2 teaspoons salad oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Divide chicken between two small resealable freezer bags; freeze overnight.

2. Divide spinach, mandarin oranges, and corn between two airtight storage containers. In a screw-top jar, combine vinegar, mustard, oregano, orange marmalade, oil, salt, and pepper; cover and shake well. Divide dressing mixture between two small resealable plastic bags. Chill salads and dressing overnight.

3. For each serving, pack a salad container, a bag of dressing, and a bag of chicken in an insulated lunch box with an ice pack. Serve within 5 hours.

4. Just before serving, add the dressing and chicken to the spinach mixture. Toss to coat. Makes 2 servings.

5. *Test Kitchen Tip: If using the packaged refrigerated cooked chicken breast strips, omit the 1/8 teaspoon salt from the dressing.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy...I think I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought The South Beach Diet Super Charged from Costco 3 weeks ago. It has the original diet plus exercise. So in those 3 weeks I've read the book from cover to cover. I love all the whole idea - but those first 2 weeks are a little intimidating! I keep telling myself I'll start next week. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wishing you luck, and I'll need the same. I have a lot of desserts I came up and one Susan came up with, while I was being faithful, so if you need help making it thru call me and we'll talk !! I am going to start not this coming Monday but the next !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, next Monday sounds tempting but i think I have put it off long enough. If I wait too long I might not ever start. What did you eat for breakfast? Did you drink v8 everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I drank the V8 every morning, sigh... I am waiting until after I have one more luncheon on Saturday. It is really an easy diet to stick too, after the 2 weeks !!! I also would make myself canadian bacon wraps. I would put the CB in the micro with low fat cheese and melt them. Take them out and roll them up and wrap in foil for the ride to work. I can't eat firt thing, but once I get to work I can. My husband would eat scrambled eggs from McDonald's every morning. They sell them as a side order and sometimes he would get sides of bacon too, he lost over a hundred pounds and we never went hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement and all the ideas! I just finished day 2 today. It went ok other than I had a sugar-free fudge pop at 2 in the afternoon. It is on the diet, but i wish I could have saved it for after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good for you! no chocolate? I'm gonna cry just thinking about it...........

    ReplyDelete